Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I Remember Gramma Matucheski : Homemade Egg Nog

Gramma Matucheski used to babysit me and my brother out on the farm when we were small. We were the last of that generation's grandchildren (before the great grandchildren started coming).

Gramma used to make us home-made egg nog as a regular treat. Creamy and rich, we loved it!

A few years ago, I found the cups above that also reminded me of the coffee mugs that hung on hooks beneath the kitchen cupboards. Each of her 6 children had a mug with their name on it with this sort of classic glaze ...

Here's the recipe :

Gramma's Egg Nog

2 eggs
2 cups milk (not cream)
vanilla
sugar

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Enjoy!
Gramma had an old style hand-cranked egg beater that did the job magnificently.

I've taken to straining out the stringy parts of the raw egg before we drink it. We also like to add a splash of rum these days.

Gramma Matucheski died in February 2007. This is how I remember her.

Warning : Drinking/eating raw eggs may be hazardous to your health. Consider pasturizing the nog before you partake. That just means heating it to a certain temp to kill any microbes, but not enough to cook the egg. (My mom is Director of Public Health in her county, so she's tracked enough salmonella cases back to raw eggs. She'd have a heart attack if she knew I still drank this! Just once in a while ... ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks good, make some more!