Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Ornaments and their Meanings

We finally got the Christmas tree up a week before Christmas. We were a little behind schedule this year. I was determined to keep it simple--I only put up ornaments that did NOT require extensive packaging. Just the free-form, free-wheeling ornaments floating around the box.

As I trimmed the tree, I was struck by the MEANING that flooded back for a few of them ...

The Fan : On the first day of school in the mid-1950s, Little Holly made a paper-folded fan. She gave it to another girl in class named Sally. Holly said, "I'll give you this fan if you be my friend." That was the start of a lifelong friendship. Sally's mother (Gramma B.) made a similar ornament and shared the story many years later. The story has entered our family lore.

Seahorse Symbolism : Back in my single days, I had a seahorse ornament that I kept up and out all year long. The seahorse held significant symbolism for me : The male seahorse keeps the seahorse babies in a pouch (like a kangaroo). The male seahorse is the nurturer and caregiver of the seahorse family. That's what I was looking for in a mate. And I found it in CL!

No comments: