Thursday, December 27, 2007

Holiday Traditions : Cross Country Skiing Christmas Day

The one thing my family likes to do every year on Christmas Day is cross-country skiing. There's nothing like a cross-country ski run to get the blood moving again after a heavy holiday meal.

I grew up on a farm in the rolling hills and woods of Northern Wisconsin. My brother and I learned to cross country ski when we were 5 and 6 years old. We've been doing it most of our lives. I remember one year, we went to ski out in the flat fields by Gramma Matucheski's house. Seth fell down, and was too stubborn to get back up. Dad and I skied around the field and came back to him. I guess Seth just wanted/needed a break. He got back up then ...

My Dad's land was just down the road--now it's in their back yard. How nice! Dad takes care of the trails so skiing and hiking is very nice there.

In recent years, we haven't always had snow at Christmas, so some years, we just hike. These days, my mom doesn't care to go out--She prefers her sewing room. Dad is too busy with his own stuff, or he went out earlier and couldn't wait for the rest of us ... So my own little family of 3 goes out to ski. Yes--Oliver is doing very well on his little skis. This year when he falls down, he gets right back up. He just chugs along like a train ... At one point, I fell, and Oliver said. "Ok, Mumma. I'm not going to wait for you ..."

When we go now, we like to ski in the nearby woods flowage groomed with excellent cross-country ski trails for novice to expert. Down by the river is a small cabin where we build a fire and have a little picnic. We sit on the porch and watch the chickadees flit around the bird feeder with a view of the bridge in the background.




I can't think of anyplace else I'd rather be in December. Even better if it's snowing!

Even a stump looks elegant in the snow!

No comments: