Monday, December 31, 2007

Grappa's Bear Fat Barometer


When I was a kid, I swear that Grappa had a jar of rendered bear fat in his kitchen window. He said he could predict the weather with it :

* Clear for good weather
* Cloudy for bad weather

If conditions were right for a tornado, a cloudy funnel would form in the center core of the jar.

I haven't been able to verify this any place as yet. He may have been telling us one of his infamous stories ...

I do know that his machine shed was hit by a tornado in the early 1980s. Maybe he dumped the bear fat barometer after that?

Added April 7, 2008 :

I did come across this picture (or Gramma did). She had it on the kitchen table the last time I was there a few weeks ago. So there really was a bear!

My mom is the little girl looking so appalled at this dead bear, and pulling his ear. Gramma looks quite happy, and Grappa looks like the great white hunter (or something). My mom said that bear skin was in the closet of the upstairs bedroom for years and years. She hated that closet. That bear skin scared her to death! It wasn't tanned very well, so they eventually threw it out--the hair kept falling out of it. Makes me think of the episode from Hotel New Hampshire where they stuffed the dog Sorrow after he died, but he was just never the same ...

Funny, I now have a bear quilt hanging on the wall watching me sleep. I don't think my mom has reclaimed that imagery for herself, though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, the bear grease is a real thing. I have a jar and its a little more complicated than clear or cloudy. You can find charts online that'll show what - means - what. But, for whatever reason it'll stop working for a while before it works again.

Anonymous said...

When I was a little girl, we had a jar of bear grease in our window. It would have flakes in it when it was going to snow and drops in it when it was going to rain. I have never run across it anywhere since. But it is true.