Friday, April 10, 2009

The 37 Days Challenge

Over on 37 Days, Patti Digh issued a challenge to change your life for 37 days. I've decided to do 2 things :



1) Go back to skating at least 1x a week.
This is the quote that got me :

"When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life." -Jean Shinoda Bolen

I skated this am, first time since November. In the first 15 seconds, I felt like I was flying across the ice again, and I wondered, "Why on earth did I quit skating for 4 months? If I feel this good, why is it so hard to drag myself out of bed at 6 am to go to the rink?" It makes everything better--even my morning tea tasted better after skating today! I am bigger when I skate--mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Skating is my JOY. I'll never win an Olympic medal, nor is that one of my goals. I just love the way I feel out there on the ice with my magic skates!



2) The other thing is to ask myself, "What can I do to make someone's life easier / better?"
Heard that line in a Darius Rucker song recently. [Remember Hootie & the Blowfish? He was the lead singer.]

As a hospital librarian, I do this regularly, but not often enough :
* offering someone a book on chronic low-back pain to help them cope and heal
* helping an amputee find info on a better/more comfortable prosthesis that Medicare will cover
* giving a word of encouragement and support to an old friend, (or better yet) to a stranger
* listen to someone's story

There are lots of ways to do this one every day--and it makes me feel better, too.

No comments: