Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Music of the Spheres : My Favorite Things



More than 10 years ago, I finally (after 3 years!) saved enough money to buy one of these gorgeous and melodious wind chimes. The Music of the Spheres vend at the Bristol Renaisance Fair every summer. They have a wonderful shop under a huge old tree. All their chimes are on display in various scales and octaves (bass-tenor-alto-soprano). You can pull the clapper and just let the music flow through you ... And pick your favorite!

My consistent favorite has always been the Mongolian Tenor (listen!). Check out the rest of the options, too. They put up MP3s so you can hear them online. It's not quite like standing under that tree and listening to these chimes, or even on my porch, but it will give you an idea of the appeal. Do you hear how they RINGGGGGGG!

What's so neat about these chimes is that they are perfectly tuned in several octaves. There's at least one to suite every taste. In Texas, Christian even worked with one of the Music of the Spheres chime-makers (That's before I knew him). He was the guy who cut the pipes ...

Why am I thinking of it now? April is coming. 7 years ago, I was very pregnant. Because we were preparing for a natural childbirth, I was looking for ways to rest and relax and "open" (why fight the inevitable). CL even made me a tape of those chimes softly ringing for 45 minutes. It's still a favorite. Sometimes, he does some really wonderful and thoughtful things for me--that was one of them. ;-)

The other thing that helped a lot in those childbirth "opening" meditations was visualizing a flower opening. I had a soapdish that was the perfect image for helping that cervix to open and let that baby through ...


It worked, too. I was at work until about 1 pm. I had gone to see the midwife at noon. She said I was already 6 cm dilated, and couldn't figure out why I was still calm and not having big contractions yet--well, something was happening, but it wasn't too bad yet. She told me to go home and have a shake spiked with castor oil which (I think) was supposed to start up the contractions again ... I labored at home until about 6 pm when CL took me to the hospital. At times I didn't think we were going to make it. By 8 pm, we had Oliver--and the whole world changed!

No comments: