Thursday, March 20, 2008

Knowing : Part 1

One of the ways I KNOW I'm on my path [Joseph Campbell-speak], doing what I'm supposed to be doing is by certain cues of familiar and important things in my life ... Coincidences that have to be more than just mere co-incidence. ["Coincidence? I think not!"]

One is a piece of music : Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites. I LOVE the first one as done by YoYo Ma. I had always wanted to learn to play the cello, but in my small town, I just never had that opportunity. We were lucky to have a jazz band and a Swing Choir and a regular band.



When I first saw Summit Avenue Coop, it was a drive-by. I saw the windows from the street below, and I knew I wanted to live there. This was the Coop for me! When I first membershipped at Summit Coop, I met Miriam who would be my roommate for a few years. She showed me the room (1/2 of her double) that was available. It was big and roomy with 5 (Count 'em! 5) windows and a glimpse of Lake Mendota from that high hill.

The signs came :
1) Miriam played cello. She had been a music and Spanish major in college.
2) On her music stand was the sheet music for Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites.
Wow! That's tough one for even a professional . I think I even asked her to play some for me. She did.
3) She had even met Yoyo Ma in person and gotten to play his cello. Wow!



Yoyo Ma plays the Unaccompanied Bach Cello Suite No. 1
Wow! Even listening to this piece of music now sends chills up my spine!

There were lots of coincidences early on between me and Miriam. It started out as a good thing back in those days.

No comments: