Monday, October 15, 2007

The Way to a Woman's Heart : Part 1

I was watching the movie Phenomenon (with John Travolta). There are a number of reasons I like this movie. Here's one : "He bought her chairs!"

At one point, Robert Duvall's character (Doc) explains how George got the girl :

Banes: [speaking about George's transformation] He never really changed at all. Isn't that right Doc? I mean he never really got any smarter. Doc?
Doc: Banes... how's your lady love?
Banes: We... um... we broke up.
Doc: Really? That's too bad, yeah. Now George has a love at his side and she is sticking with him. You know why? Because he bought her chairs. That's pretty smart to me. You ever buy Lisa's chairs?'
Banes: Doc's real drunk tonight.
Doc: Every woman has her chair, something she needs to put herself into, Banes. You ever figure out what Lisa's chairs were and buy 'em?
[pause]
Doc: Nope. But, you're right about one thing, George never changed.

For Lace (George's Sweetie), it's the bent wood chairs she makes. George bought them, and appreciated her and her essence, and what was important to her. With persistence and patience, he got the girl.

It sounds so silly--so simple : He bought her chairs. Isn't that all any of us want? to be seen for who we really are, and loved for it?

I am fortunate to have a wonderful husband who is supportive of me and my hobbies and passtimes. I could not have asked for a better match for me!

1 comment:

reneehcat said...

Nice to see someone else appreciates that line.....