Sunday, December 7, 2008

Signs



When I was young, my mom was a waitress at a little bar/pub that served food on Friday and Saturday nights. I remember sitting at the bar one night (Gramma & Grappa were there for dinner and I got to go along) and Ma was our waitress. I also remember a woman at the bar teaching me to spell my name in sign language--I can still do it :


And a few other phrases like "I love you" and bullshit.

I had so many ear infections as a kid, I could have lost my hearing ... I was on Penicillin for a year in kindergarten (bad idea, I know ...) before they took my tonsils out. So I always felt like being deaf was a path not taken in my life--not a scary one, just a different one. I'm glad that lady taught me some sign language.

Have you ever seen deaf poetry? I saw one in Madison once--Poetry in Motion! It's wonderful. One of the housekeepers at my hospital is deaf. Last year, her church choir performed at my hospital during the Christmas season. They did the show in sign language--they played music for the hearing audience, but it was so neat to SEE them. Again, poetry in motion--and it always brings tears to my eyes because I know that could have been me ... again, not a bad thing, just a different path.

"Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays" from Jeremy Neiderer (and me) :



Jeremy does a nice job with his videos--The focus is on his hands--and it's apparent he's having a good time doing it.  Here's another one :



No comments: