Sunday, December 14, 2008

Marriage = Heart + Heart



Up until now, I've tried to keep Hidden Passages non-political. But I can't stand it anymore ... I have to speak up. On 37 Days, Patti Digh gave a call to action to become an advocate, to make a difference. "We want to counter those images and messages of divisiveness, exclusion and prejudice with images of inclusion, equality and acceptance." So here is my passionate stance :

Marriage = Heart + Heart.
Love is Love. It's as simple as that.

Gender doesn't come into it at all. Religion doesn't come into it at all (or it doesn't have to). I simply do not buy the Bible-thumping arguments about morality. It's bunk.

I'm still floored that the good people of my own state (Wisconsin) voted in favor of adding an (anti-) marriage amendment to our state constitution. This means our constitution now says that it's perfectly ok to discriminate against a whole group of people who don't number enough to make their own majority.

It is NOT okay. Gay people have hopes, dreams, loves, joys, fears and sorrows just like the rest of us. They ARE the rest of us. We're ALL in this world together. If a couple wants to celebrate their committment to each other, that should be supported.

My little family is NOT threatened by the gay couple down the street. In fact, I worry about their stability in a society that doesn't support their relationship. THAT instability is what threatens my little family, what threatens all of us.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." --Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I truly believe this is an issue of civil rights and human rights and social justice.


While I like the sentiment, talking in a language conservative elements understand means framing it in economic terms. I prefer to appeal to the heart. Whatever works ... These hateful efforts will be defeated.

No comments: