Sunday, February 17, 2008

Snow-Shoeing by Candlelight




(Not a great picture in the dark--this is right before the batteries went out in the camera. You can see some of the candles lighting the trail behind us.

We went to an event at Gordon Buboltz Nature Preserve in Appleton, WI : A candle-lit hike along the snow-shoe trail with hot dogs and S'mores over a bonfire afterwards. I loved it, and so did Oliver! For weeks, the attraction for him has been the hotdogs and S'mores aspect. I was looking forward to the candle-lit hike. There were only 4 other hikers there when we arrived. I expected crowds of 600-700 people, but no--I guess people thought 8 degrees was too cold to be out after dark.

We rented sleek modern snow shoes. They were easier to walk in than my big old-timey rawhide snow shoes. Snow shoes were probably not needed on the packed down trails there ... Still, it was neat to say we did it!

Makes me think putting up such candle lanterns in my Dad's woods might get her up and walking out her back door ...

No comments: