Sunday, February 3, 2008

Johnny Weir : 2008 National Long Program : Love is War



This is here because I don't want to forget it. Johnny Weir skated beautifully that night! It was a total package--the music, the program, the choreography, the execution of the elements ... It was engaging. He soared! Even now that I've seen it several times, I'm still cheering for him. It was wonderful! And to think he came in 2nd place. I don't quite understand ...

Johnny Weir skates "like butter." (Oliver says, "Butter doesn't skate very well.") What I mean is he's so smooth and fluid, yet strong. It's the "edge quality" he has. It's wonderful! I wonder if he has Gold Seal blades?

This is what I want to do / feel when I'm out there on the ice. I know I'll never do triple and quadruple jumps (I can do single jumps, though! That's enough.) I'm not even interested in competing ... I do want to skate "like butter," though. That's the feeling of skating to me ... SMOOOTH and beautiful and strong.

Here's another version, but the quality isn't as good. At least you can hear the commentary.

Unfortunately, the above video was taken down. ALL copies of the 2008 National Long program were removed from the free internet. Here's a video from the 2008 World's Competition. The same program, but a very different performance. Different energy. Different emotions. It's still a spectacular program He's still one of the finest skaters to ever done a pair of blades.

Try this one.
Here are some pictures (but it's not the same). Sigh!



No comments: