Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving


Here's is Oliver's Thanksgiving Turkey, made at school with markers and a coffee filter. I love the effect so much, I'm trying to figure out how to apply it to cloth as a dyer's technique! It makes a nice sun-catcher, and everyone should have a little kid-art on their house!

Thanksgiving IS my favorite holiday because it's about food and family and being together. It's not about presents, but presance. It's not really about religion, either.

A celebration of ABUNDANCE, not only of food, but of the other riches of life.

What am I thankful for? All the usual things :
* A wonderful partner--I can't imagine a better match for me :-)
* A loving and supportive family (Ma and Pa, Gramma)
* A bright kid
* A decent job that supports my quilting hobby
* A warm fire to sit by on a cold winter's night/day
* A wonderful dog with a story of her own (though we may never know her true past, she has a good life now)
* An ice rink with uniform and regular ice most of the year (I know this one is not environmentally friendly, but then neither is heart surgery, which would probably eventually be the alternative if I did not skate)
* A place to call home

As Glen Phillips sings with Toad the Wet Sprocket, "I will not take these things for granted."

No comments: