Sunday, November 25, 2007

Letter from Grappa

This is a letter Grappa sent to Gramma Pickles from the nursing home earlier this month. It made me laugh to see that he is settling in so comfortably at the nursing home where "Everything is free!"

Here's the transcription (in case you can't read the above):

"Oct. ??? Don't know the town.

Dear Violet My Love
It is hard to write as there is nothing to lay the tablet on. Wish I was home. How is everything there? I hope good. You could come up here for a while. Everything is free. Food all you want. To eat, or whatever you do. You don't pay for anything. There is a lot of people you know. And best thing they do is keep you happy. Everybody gets a wheel cart so you can get around. Excuse my writing. The wheel cart goes pretty fast or slow as you want. I hope you can drop me a few lines.
Your love, Ed."

Great News! Grappa seems to be adjusting to life in the nursing home. That's good! The don't let him sleep during the day (He was sleeping most of the time at home, out of boredom, I suspect.). They keep him busy with entertainment, activities, and company. He knows many of the other residents there, too. They keep a handle on his diabetes--Gramma really didn't understand what needed to be done to manage it. And he's been on anti-depressants for the transition. When my family goes to visit him now, several times they haven't been able to find him there--he's off and doing somewhere there.

All this means Gramma can go back to being his wife, not his caregiver. That's great! Maybe absence does make the heart grow finder.

1 comment:

Mande said...

Sounds kind of like what some might describe as "heaven". Free food, lots of friends, they do everything to make you happy, you can do anything you want....