Sunday, August 19, 2007

Water-logged Dragonfly

On the dog walk last night, I found this majestic beauty stuck fast to the wet and rainy sidewalk. I suspect it's wings just got too heavy and cold with the rain to fly. So I brought it home to dry off in safety and peace.

I think it's a Green Darner, very common in Wisconsin. Sandy, my Naturalist Friend would know for sure ... Somewhere, we have a little book called Dragonflies of Wisconsin (with color pictures), but I can't seem to locate it now.

Once when Sandy and I were canoeing Cherokee Marsh, we found a dragonfly whose wings were stuck fast to the surface of the lake. We scooped it out, and let it dry in the sun on one of our paddles. We took the opportunity to get a close-up look at this creature. We were also honored and amazed to be so close to this living, struggling, gorgeous creature. In a little while, it came to life and flew off--no doubt grateful for our intervention that day. What a gift that encounter was!

No comments: