Sunday, August 19, 2007

Taste a Little of the Summer


I love blueberries! My grocery store had a great sale on blueberries (from Canada) this week, so I bought 6 pints : 1 to eat now, and 5 to freeze for blueberry pancakes and smoothies all year. Yum!


Here's the Summer Fruit Tart I made this weekend. Easy and delicious! (It has a puff pastry crust courtesy of Pepperidge Farm).

It's true that now we can get just about anything we want at any time of the year ... Frozen blueberries and peaches at the grocery store; fresh fruit from around the world because it's always in season somewhere ... My family tries to eat foods grown locally and in season, but that's not always possible. It's back to the Global Village idea again.

Greg Brown has a wonderful song called "Canned Goods."
Lyrics (Janna--you'll appreciate this song!)

Live Performance on YouTube

"Peaches on the shelf, potatoes in the bin
Supper's ready, everybody come on in.
Taste a little of the summer ...
My Gramma put it all in jars"

Someday, I'll do a quilt on this theme ...

What are your favorite tastes of summer?

No comments: