Sunday, August 5, 2012

Crossing Over


Dear Reader,

My apologies for not posting much here in recently months.  I've been taking an online photography class called Beyond Layers with Kim Klassen.  When it started in April, I thought I would effectively learn to use PhotoShop Elements and that I would wind up with a year's worth of beautiful images (my own!).  What I did not expect was that the teacher would ask us to go deeper ...  I'm beginning to understand that the STORY behind the image adds powerful emotional content.  The Meaning is part of what matters.  It is essentially another Layer.

Some of Kim's assignments have asked us to reflect on the kind of personal things that I'd be much more likely to post here on Hidden Passages (HP), rather than my artsy Sweet Leaf Notebook (SLN) blog which documents my creative pursuits.  HP is sort of the family stories and personal musings, with a much smaller audience.  SLN is much more eye candy, designed to document the things I make (art quilts, hand dyed fabric, surface design, and lately, photography).  There has not usually been an emotional life on Sweet Leaf Notebook--until this summer.  Nor have I posted much of my Artsy-craftsy life on HP.  Many of the recent posts on SLN are things I felt would work better on HP because of the personal nature of the the story layer.   In fact, when the class began, I wondered if I shouldn't post Beyond Layers assignments to Hidden Passages instead of Sweet Leaf Notebook.

However, thanks to Tim Berners-Lee and Google, I can post them in both places!  Aside from my mom and my dear husband, I don't think many people out there read both.  Hence, I will be re-posting those stories that seem to fit Hidden Passages. 

Here we go ...

No comments: