Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bridges and Walls



Katie Doherty's beautiful song, Bridges.

I think of my role in this world as being a bridge or a channel--a connector.

I figured this out at a Work-that-is-Real Retreat a few years ago (Thanks, Dottie--I'm still reflecting on that weekend!)

In the song, Katie sings about a woman building bridges and a man who builds walls. Her home has open doors, but her bridges "can't conquer the human wall."


I just realized I built a stone wall 20 years ago. All this time, I thought it was the other person shutting me out, but it was me. I was young and hurt when I built it, for my own protection. I'm in the process of dismantling it now after so many years.



Forgiveness - Compassion - Love - Personal Responsibility. It feels good to bring it down. I can see the beautiful landscape now! It's been a gradual dismantling in the past few weeks. New insights every day. ;-)

I also know in my heart-of-hearts that the person involved will be greatly relieved too. I look forward to re-connecting with this person soon. I just have to wait for the dust to settle ...

No comments: