Friday, September 19, 2008

Caledonia / Scotland


I just got back from my 2nd trip to Scotland. Sigh! J and I actually climbed up to the top of this hill on the Bay of Uig, at the tip of The Isle of Skye. Watched kayakers below us in the water until the clouds came down on us. Neat experience!

I should state that I was able to return to Scotland because my husband won a trip for 4 to London last summer because he bought the last Harry Potter book from our local bookstore. This was a huge deal last summer, and the local Rotary Club offered this prize trip to London for 4 to see the Harry Potter sites. We decided to take the money and build our own trips ... CL and Oliver went to Japan (Land of Pokemon). I went back to Scotland with J. My thanks to The Oshkosh Rotarians!

If you've never been to Scotland, here's a song that will help explain what Scotland means to me, how I miss it, how it feels like home ... Enjoy!

Dougie MacLean's Caledonia



If anyone is interested, here's a link to the Photo Album on Picassa of this most recent trip. Lots of hill walking through those vast green countrysides. Scotland has more sheep than people ...


Near Uig (pronounced Oo-ig) on The Isle of Skye. This is the road to The Faery Glen ... Hey there's a reason I don't vacation in the Carribean ... As a Child of the North, I melt in the sun. I love these cloudy changing skies. Don't even mind the rain.

Here's another song that sums the trip up for me :

"I spent my life watching sky and sea change color
Hypnotized by the beauty of it all
And you ask me why I'm singing
Well, it's good for me. It can be good for you ..."
--Hothouse Flowers, "Good for You"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing these pictures out in Picasso!!!! I can only imagine how it felt to actually stand on those green hills and take in these views! I'm so glad you go this trip!

Welcome home, friend!!
Dottie

Anonymous said...

Thank you! The pictures are beautiful. Some, eg 42&44 looked upside down with the sky on the bottom and the hills above.
marly

Anonymous said...

wonderful! I really enjoyed the photos. It felt like I was there, and I want to go back. What a beautiful, peaceful country.
DMJ

Anonymous said...

Scotland looks like a lovely country. Thanks for sharing the pictures, as I probably will not get there in person.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Reminds me of Ireland : -) Great memories …. Thanks for sharing. Amy