Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bread Pudding with Blueberries



A few weeks ago at a local restaurant, I got to taste a wonderful dessert. This is my attempt at re-creating it at home.

My version is based on an old recipe from Heidi Huser's Grandmother. We used to make this (among other delectables) on Northern Exposure Mondays at Heidi's apartment in Madison, WI.

Heidi--I still have the recipe and still love it! What always amazed me about this recipe was the simplicity--Everything is mixed in the same dish it is baked in. The eggs are broken over the bread cubes and gently (not vigorously) stirred in.

Bread Pudding (a la Heidi's Gramma)

3-4 cups bread crumbs in a 1-1/2 qt. casserole dish
(Old bread ripped into bite-sized pieces works fine)

Blend in:
2 cups milk scaled with 1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (or more as desired)
1/2 cup raisins, if desired

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, uncovered, until a knife inserted comes out clean.

Serve warm with milk poured over the top.

Mmmmh! I wish you could smell it!

No comments: