Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Linden Blossoms



The Linden Trees are in bloom! I caught a very pleasant whiff of that unmistakable perfume this evening, and I knew it was time again -- All I had to do was look up at the trees nearby.


Linden Blossoms


Linden Tree Leaves, also known as Basswood (so you might recognize it when it's not in bloom).



Grappa Eddie Smithmajer

Great Gramma Smitmajer (Eddie's mother)

My Grandfather (Eddie Smitmajer for those long lost cousins in The Czech Republic) said his mother loved Linden Blossom Tea. When she found a Linden tree in bloom, he would help her pick the blossoms in July, which would then be dried in a warm oven for this mild tea all year round. When he realized we had a Linden tree behind our barn, I went out with him to fill a brown paper shopping bag with the sweet blossoms. I don't know how much tea he actually drank, but it was a nice memory. For years after that, I had a huge jar of those dried blossoms.


Tonight I made a fresh tea from these little beauties. My husband says that his Grandfather in France also had great reverence for Lindens. His family had a summer place in the country, complete with an orchard, Linden trees and bees. CL would go there to get "hunny and money" at Mailly. Another reason I married this wonderful man!


Image from here.
Linden flowers make the BEST honey. If you know a beekeeper with Linden trees nearby, they will keep the Linden honey "under the table." You have to ask for it. It's in short supply and they typically don't leave it out for general sale. Linden flower honey is always a special treat.

No comments: