Sunday, May 23, 2010

Grandlac : Fortified Farm House, 1500s France


Near LaCanourge, we visited a fortified farm house built in the 1500s.
Looks pretty cool, doesn't it?




This the the back side where the door is. The Poyets knew the owners and had permission to show us inside. This round tower is the circular staircase.

When we got inside, I didn't even take pictures -- I was so startled. It was cold, dark (not many windows). The ground floor would have been like living in a cave, or a garage. The Poyets said that people lived here up until the 1970s. It made me think twice about wanting to live in a castle--and how hard it would have been to keep it warm in winter. The 3rd floor was the most livable now, with a kitchen ... Still rugged living.

You have to love solitude to live there.


This is the barn, built like a boat, and low to the ground.


The slate (?) roof.


Inside the barn, built like an upside-down boat. It was perfect for sheep back in the day.


Another building on the property. Looks like a crofter's cottage in Scotland.

The family who owns this property has been slowly restoring it, and making it liveable. They have a modern farm with 500 sheep over the hill. We didn't see the working farm, though.
I also kept looking for a big lake, but didn't see one ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just visited your blog, I'm living not far away, and I know Granlad, I made myself photos and found many mushrooms very near... you can visit my blog ( in french) on Lozere department: http://photo-loz.blogspot.com

åslaug abigail said...

This is a really neat farmhouse! I wish I had been there myself, even though your post made me feel almost like I was. I realise old houses like that would have been cold and dark. I still think my main problem with it would be the size. Seeing as I don't have any servants, can you imagine the hours you'd have to put into cleaning??
I loved the pictures, just the inspiration I was looking for ;)