Monday, May 25, 2009

Shirly Temple to End All STs



One time, I got to spend the night at Gramma Smitmajer's house. We always got to have Jolly Good Soda Pop at Gramma's, and those little cheese and cracker snack packs with the little red spreading knife.

My Aunt Cindy has always been 10 years older than me. That night, she thought it would be a good idea to make me a Shirly Temple packed with extra Maraschino cherries. I was up for it. I must have been about 10 years old at the time.

She found an old jar of Maraschino cherries in Gramma's fridge. She put every last one in my ST. Picture cherries from the bottom of the glass up to the very top. I had my little drink and felt like a Queen.

That night, I was sicker than a dog. We later found out that those cherries had been in Gramma's fridge for something like 23 years. Apparently, these particular cherries had some ties to Aunt Sylvia (Remember those women with the bee-hive hair-dos and the rhinestone cat-eye glasses in The Far Side cartoons? That was Aunt Sylvia ... The only thing missing in the cartoon was her little dog with the metal ribs. (Don't ask ...))



To this day, I cannot eat those bright red cherries -- or a Shirly Temple.

No comments: