Friday, May 16, 2008

Mother's Day 2008



Oliver is 7 now. This is the first year he's really made a big deal out of Mother's Day. It's kind of nice. He made me this coupon book (That's me in my pink robe with my green eyes--couldn't be anyone else's mom!) redeemable for hugs and breakfast in bed.

He also made me the clay pottery bird (complete with feathers) and a bracelet (below).

At the Fellowship last week, Dottie's sermon was "We All Need Mothering." One of her points was that we all need someone to see us for who we really are ...

This made me think of the Zulu greeting, "Sakubona" (sounds Italian with the long "o"). Literally translated, it means, "I see you" -- which takes on even greater meaning when you think of South Africa living through the Apartheid years when so many people were NOT seen for who they really were.

It also made me think of Oliver and his insistence on prominent chewy cowlicks in his hair. He's been trying to get his hair chunky--so it looks like the Japanese Anime cartoon characters he loves. It's fine with me--so I try to compliment him when he wakes up with particularly chewy hair. In France last year, his Meme (Gramma) took every effort to wet down and comb flat those spiky cowlicks--into a kid I didn't recognize. He was visibly upset about that ans I had to come to his defense. (He loves his Meme and this was clearly just a generational difference ...)


A particularly "chewy" day.

No comments: